
The Encounter
I quickly learned that my panicked squeaks actually encouraged Zorro to take off in a gallop, and then, after the initial shock wore off, I used this tactic to my advantage in attempts to reduce the damage to my backside. Sure, galloping caused me to bounce higher and come down harder, but squeezing my thighs dramatically reduced the impact and the faster Zorro’s pace, the quicker I could dismount my noble stead.
When given such a chance I graciously set off to complete my journey on foot.It was at the head of this foot path, leading to my personal paradise, that I saw my first good omen since reading Paulo Coelho’s, The Alchemist. Two beautiful blue butterflies danced with each other leading me down the side of the cliff, taking me to my destination. I followed them silently, reaching out slowly imagining that they would land willingly on my hand. They fluttered about fearless of my fingers and eventually rose above my reach and left me to complete my journey.
The hike down to the falls consisted of a dozen twists and turns, the last one finally putting the sounds of rushing water into perspective. For the next two hours, we were given our own little niche in the Costa Rican Rainforest. Our hideaway came with our very own towering waterfall whose height was almost matched by its width. The pool, that collected the flow of what once fell from the skies, boasted of its refreshing potential through its bright blue hue and sparkling reflection of the sun. The temptation of its waters called to each of our hearts, seducing even the strongest of will. Joe was the first to go. Without a second thought, Joe tore off his shirt and dove in head first, blackberry and all. This was by far the sincerest sacrifice the pool had ever seen, and therefore, the river gods were kind to us. Joe, whose attachment to his mobile device at times robbed attention away from the gorgeous scenery in front of him, for the first time, was completely unaware of anything besides the call of the waterfall, the beating of the sun and the temptations of the pool. That complete release of responsibility is, in my opinion, what defines a vacation.
1 comment:
no fucking way. are you serious? that means I can't come home yet anyway.... OMG OMG i am soo excited.... but if this it, in fact not true i am going to seriously hurt you!
Post a Comment