Now, where were we? Oh yes, Costa Rica...

I spent the last week in a little surfer town called Dominical Beach located on the West Coast of Costa Rica. I surfed and snorkeled, jumped off waterfalls and rode a horse named Zorro, hunted crocodiles, experienced the Man Grove and zipped over the rainforest canopies. Out of all this adventure, what really stands out in my fading memory are those minutes in between activity; stopping to listen to the songs of the cicadas, allowing them to put me in a peaceful trance, feeling the humidity saturate every muscle of my body, letting myself slide into complete relaxation. In these moments, I felt invincible, enlightened…as if I had the strength to return to my busy life and accomplish every goal set and live every dream I’ve dreamt. If only I could bottle such confidence to be tasted upon return to the industrialized jungle I have come to know as home.
I’d like to promise you a Chronological record of events, unfortunately I have discovered that this is not my strong suite. But I do promise that I will attempt to pull you into the scene. I want you to experience a piece of Costa Rica. I want you to place yourself where the rainforest meets the sea, where the same breeze rustles the leaves and dances over the sand to kiss the ocean. I wish you could hear the beat of the wildlife while you feel the rhythm of the waves. I want only to take you a bit closer to this wonderful place that I have been so lucky to discover.
The Journey
You could say that we got off to a bumpy start. No really...we started the trip with a 5 hour car ride from San Jose to Dominical Beach. During which John, our driver, spent more time swerving into oncoming traffic to pass EVERYONE than he spent in our own safe haven of a lane. In retrospect, we should have, and easily could have hopped on a mini plane and headed South West for an hour. For this, I am sorry. =)
The transportation induced nausea ceased to exist as mountainous passage brought us down to the Dominical Beach welcome sign. It was here that the windows were thrown open and the ocean air was first truly appreciated. In this instant, we let our muscles relax and our smiles do the talking.
Glancing back and forth between Laura and Joe, both of whom, John and I picked up for this treacherous journey to the coast five hours earlier, it for the first time hit me how unforgettable this week would truly be.
No comments:
Post a Comment